A Review of Udupi-Chikmagalur LS constituency

2:32 PM, Friday, April 4th, 2014
Share
1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (No Ratings Yet)
Loading...

Udupi : The Udupi-Chikmagalur Lok Sabha Constituency which is one of the 28 parliamentary constituencies of Karnataka which will go to polls on 17 April 2014 has the best competitive candidates with equal confidence of winning the election.
This constituency has the assembly segments spread over the two districts namely Udupi and Chikmagalur. In Chikmagalur 81% of the population resides in rural area with the remaining 19% forming the urban population. Agriculture is the economical back bone of the district with coffee cultivation forming the major part of it.

Candidate

After the reconstitution of Udupi Lok Sabha constituency as per the recommendations of the Delimitation Commission, the name of the constituency was changed from Udupi Lok Sabha constituency to ‘Udupi Chikmagalur’ Lok Sabha constituency.

Udupi Chikmagalur’ parliamentary constituency comprises four Assembly constituencies of Udupi district-viz Kundapur, Udupi, Kaup and Karkala, and four Assembly constituencies of Chikmagalur district: Sringeri, Mudigere (is reserved for scheduled caste candidates), Chikmagalur and Tarikere.

Udupi-chikkamagalore-map

 

Udupi – Chikmagalur Lok Sabha Constituency in 2014 has 13,51,245 voters, with 6,61,364 male and 6,89,833 female and 48 other category voters.

In the 2012 by elections held in the constituency after the LS seat was vacated by DV Sadananda Gowda upon becoming the chief minister, the Congress wrested the Udupi-Chikmagalur Lok Sabha seat from the BJP with party candidate K Jayaprakash Hegde emerging victorious by a margin of 45,724 votes.

Jaya

This was a setback to the then ruling BJP after more than a decade in Karnataka(1998 to 2012).

Hegde, defeated BJP rival V Sunil Kumar in a loss of face to BJP.Hegde secured 3,98,723 votes as against 3,52,999 by Sunil Kumar.

The electoral loss for BJP came at time when the party was in a turmoil following the revolt led by B S Yeddyurappa demanding his reinstatement as chief minister.

Simillar Posts

Leave a Reply