Mangalore : A Maruti Omni which was parked in front of the Hamilton building near the State Bank in Mangalore, suffered partial damage after it caught fire due to a short circuit while its driver started the vehicle. The incident took place at around 3.30 pm on September 24, Tuesday.
The car bearing registration no. KA 19 N9475 is owned by Mohammad Paigambar. He had been to an advocate in Hamiltan building. Mohammad had filled the car’s petrol tank with three litre petrol as the LPG was about to be exhausted. But as the driver started the car as soon as the owner arrived, there was fire. People in the Hamilton Building too rushed around and ran fearing the LPG cylinder may explode.
A trader in the building informed the fire service station and Assistant Fire Station Officer PC Lingappa and his personnel rushed to the spot and extinguished the fire.
It is learnt that the cylinder in the car would have exploded had the fire service personnel arrived even a little bit late. The loss has been estimated at Rs 30,000.
A large crowd had gathered around Hamilton Building following the incident.