New Delhi : After two jawans were killed by Pakistani troops, who crossed the Line of Control in Kashmir yesterday, sources say the Indian government wants Pakistan to commission an inquiry into the “barbaric and inhuman mutilation” of the dead soldiers. One of the bodies was found decapitated; the severed head is missing.
If Pakistan does not agree, sources said India will consider the suspension or cancellation of a new and more liberal visa process introduced recently by both countries as a corroboration of improving relations.
In a statement this evening, the Pakistani government said it “strongly rejects” India’s allegations as “baseless and unfounded.”
The statement from Islamabad warned against “negative propaganda” and said, “Pakistan is prepared to hold investigations through the United Nations Military Observers Group for India and Pakistan (UNMOGIP) on the recent ceasefire violations on the Line of Control.”
Foreign Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid said that Pakistan’s envoy Salman Bashir who was summoned by his ministry this morning had been warned that any other violations of the ceasefire or Line of Control “will have an adverse impact on what we have been trying to do for such a long time.” However, Mr Khurshid cautioned, “We must not allow for escalation of an unwholesome event that has taken place.”
After Mr Bashir was summoned in Delhi, the Pakistani army said that it has verified that “nothing of this sort happened as being alleged by India.”
The Pakistani army dismisses India’s allegations as propaganda to divert the attention of the world from Sunday’s raid on a Pakistani post by Indian troops in which a Pakistani soldier was killed.”