Will be forced to stop Mumbai train services if… : Thackeray warns of ‘harsh decision’ amid COVID-19 scare India

10:51 AM, Wednesday, March 18th, 2020
Share

Thackeray

Mumbai : As the cases of novel coronavirus in Maharashtra is rising by the day, Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray on Tuesday warned people of taking “harsh decision” to contain the situation, saying he will be forced to stop bus and train services in Mumbai if people don’t avoid unnecessary travel.

Speaking to reporters, Thackeray also urged people to avoid unnecessary travel and gathering.

The Chief Minister further said there would be no holiday for seven days to government offices while dismissing such reports in a section of media.

The administration is working on allowing the functioning of government offices with 50 per cent strength.

As of Tuesday, Maharashtra reported 40 positive cases of coronavirus, the highest in India. A 64-year-old man had died in Mumbai from coronavirus on Tuesday.

Thackeray said that the condition of 39 coronavirus positive patients, including 26 men and 14 women is stable, while one is critical, he said.
The Mumbai Police on Tuesday ordered the closure of orchestra, dance bars, discotheques, pubs, live bands and DJ performances in the city till March 31. The decision was taken as a preventive measure to contain the spread of the virus in the city.

In view of the rising cases of coronavirus in Maharashtra, the authorities have been taking several preventive measures to deal with the virus that has triggered a global panic.

Last week, the state government announced that all theatres, gyms, swimming pools in Mumbai, Navi Mumbai, Thane, Nagpur, Pimpri Chinchwad will be closed till March 30 to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus.

On Sunday, Prime Minister Narendra Modi had a telephonic conversation with the Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray to discuss the current situation in the state, sources said.

To avoid the spread of the virus, several prominent temples in the state, including Shreemant Dagdusheth Halwai Ganpati Mandir in Pune and Mumbadevi Temple in Mumbai, will remain closed for devotees till further orders.

Besides, Mumbai’s famous 220-year old Siddhivinayak Temple has also been shut down for an “indefinite period” as a precautionary step against coronavirus. The Shri Saibaba Sansthan Trust (SSST) has also advised all Saibaba ‘palkhis’ (palanquin processions) coming from all over Maharashtra and other parts of the country to defer or cancel their processions for the time being.

The state government also announced to close Ajanta, Ellora caves from Thursday as a precaution.

 

Simillar Posts

Leave a Reply